Independence Day projects

Must be something in the American air… To celebrate American independence and industry… I was inspired to make:

Adapted manufactured pattern… A feat of sewing for an amateur like me… I’ve impressed myself with the level of care and detail that went into this… The real story of patience and willpower is on the inside… Seams had been sewn only to be ripped apart to adjust the fit, seams that did not exist on the pattern were added on… and without a serger I had to finish all the raw edges by hand.. I really tried to avoid hand sewing but alas.. It was inevitable… I wanted it to withstand wash and wear.

Birthday gift #wouch

Deconstructed shopping bag turned origami gift-wrap

Clearly I have a thing for black and white


Sewing Syllabus

Practice, patience, and a whole lot of pins…

From easy wovens to slippery satins and silks to stretchy knits… I’ve learned that I must take the time to tackle each of these fabric types in sequence before advancing to the next. With each project I’ve challenged myself by using fabrics of increasing difficulty.
I’ve sewn a considerable amount with canvas and linen fabrics and by now I have the confidence to tackle something less easy to handle…

Slippery fabrics like satins and silk are known to be more than a challenge for even seasoned sewists… They need a lot of pinning down and prep work before heading to the machine- this I learned when I actually spent 3 hours+ pinning and shaping a basic peplum top with princess seams. Not to mention, I also chose a fabric with noticeable stripes which required additional time to arrange and cut each pattern piece in the right direction so that the stripes lined up.

What I’m currently working on:

It’s not quite satin or silk but equally slippery (100% poly). Got the fabric off the remnant rack with 75% markdown which came out to less than $3 for 3 yards… Jackpot!!! Because it was so inexpensive I won’t feel as guilty if when I screw up!